Monday, March 16, 2009

Care For A Sapodilla (?)


A week ago at the Wagon Wheel Flea Market I purchased several sapodillas. The fruit, not the trees. We are going to such lengths to protect our little tree I figured I should be sure I really liked them. In order to transport them, sapodillas are sold hard. In the past, I would bring them home and cut and eat. One of the vendors told me that I had to wait for them to soften and not to eat them too soon. I allowed my fruit to ripen for a week and become a little shriveled. I cut them in half and pulled apart. There is one small seed (that I will plant) in each fruit. The vendor told me that these were the variety "brown sugar". The texture is a little grainy almost pear-like. The taste was very interesting. The best description is like Junket Rennet Custard with a hint of cinnamon. These things are good! Each of the three I tried had a slightly different taste. The second I didn't care for and the third had more of a cinnamon feel and taste than the others. More than any other fruit I have had, this is like a prepared pudding grown on a tree. It really is a dessert fruit and could be served as a sweet ending to any meal.


While at the flea market, we purchased another small sapodilla tree. This one is the variety, "Silas Woods". This tree is naturally dwarfing and only grows to about 12 feet tall. It is unique in that it produces abundant fruit almost year round. This time we are planning ahead and building a protective structure around the tree when we plant it so when winter comes we will be prepared. I'll have additional photos when we get it in the ground.

No comments: